One of our favorite dishes in this household is the zucchini fritters.
(Side note – I am forever misspelling Zucchini. It’s not a difficult word, but for some reason I can’t seem to get it right. Today I am thankful for spellcheck.)
Since finding out that she loves those, I’ve tried many variations. Some misses, like the squash and apple baked bites (Travis didn’t mind eating these after they were thrown to the floor), and some wins, like the zucchini and spinach fritters.
The recipe is simple and it takes less than 15 minutes to get them together. The result is a delicious serving of folate, potassium, vitamin A, iron, protein…the list goes on and on! I’d label this as just toddler food, but Jon and I end up eating these just as eagerly as our little toddler.
Along with the nutritional value, I love the way the spinach adds to the zucchini, cheese, and breading mixture, bringing about just enough flavor without overpowering the fritters.
The best part? Make a double batch and freeze these in small zip lock bags for an instant veggie serving as an addition to any meal.
- 2 medium sized zucchini, grated
- a couple of handfuls of spinach, chopped
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup whole wheat breading, flavored
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- (salt & pepper if you want it, but they taste delicious without it)
- olive oil for frying
- Prepare all the ingredients and mix them all (but the olive oil) together.
- Heat the frying pan to a high with some oil. Scoop spoonfuls of the veggie mixture onto the pan and use a spatula to squish them into a pancake (don’t make them too thin because you still have to flip them). After 1-2 minutes, flip and cook on the other side for 1-2 more minutes.
- Repeat until you’ve cooked all of them!