I’m sure that this is nothing new to many of you, but oh my gosh, grilled pizza is like the most delicious, amazing thing ever.
Jon and I have heard of grilled pizza a ton of times and have been saying for over 2 years that we were going to give it a go. But for one reason or another, we didn’t until now. I’d like to go back to 2 years ago and kick my butt for waiting this long – it was everything I thought it would be and then some. The crust was super thin and crunchy with that brick-oven taste to it.
It even took less time to make than the oven and my hot remain cool (well, relatively considering we don’t have central air).
If you haven’t tried it, here are some quick notes on how to do it:
- Prep the crust and the toppings ahead of time and warm up the grill
- Put a little corn meal on the crust for the extra crunch
- Brush the grill with a little olive oil
- Put the crust on the super hot grill and close the lid. Cook for about 2 minutes or until the bottom is slightly brown and the top is bubbling
- Turn the crust over and put the toppings on the “brown” part. Keep the tomato sauce and the toppings light, otherwise the crust will get all soggy
- Put the pizza back in on the grill for another 3 or so minutes, keeping the lid closed
For ours, we included the whole wheat crust from Stop n Shop, tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, and pepperoni. For Peanut and me, I added some pan-fried spinach in garlic and olive oil.
Needless to say, we’ll be making a lot more of these! It’s a great, quick week day meal and tastes even better than most pizzas that we buy.